Tuesday, March 20, 2012

One Forty Five... What?

by SandWyrm


GW spammed my inbox with an advert for their '145 trailer' this morning. Yeah, um. We all figured out what it was 2 days ago guys.

Here's the video:


Obviously, it's supposed to build anticipation for their upcoming paint revamp.


Note the symbol at the end of the video and the same symbol on the front of these leaked paint pots.

So I'm supposed to get excited over GW changing the names of all of their colors, discontinuing shades that I'm already using, and adding new ones? With a probable 10-15% reduction in the amount of paint per pot? Huh? How is that a wonderful thing again?

But hey, I could be wrong. Here's some other ideas for what '145' could mean.
  1. The Percentage Amount Of GW's Upcoming Annual Price Increase.
  2. The Average Ratio Of Bad 'Finecast' Castings Made To Every Good One.
  3. The Price Of The Upcoming 6th Edition 40K Rulebook.
  4. The Average Amount You'll Spend On New Models Upgrading To 6th (No... That's Too Low).
  5. The Current Number Of Active Tyrannid Players Worldwide.
  6. The Number Of New Marine Variants Coming Out Over The Next 5 Years.
  7. What Your 40K Army Will Be Worth On eBay After 6th Hits.
  8. Tom Kirby's Q1 Bonus For This Year (£145K).
I'm sure the community can think of some more.

Am I bitter? You betcha.

I can't help but think that a better run company would be doing everything possible right now to sell the 40K community on the virtues (if there are any) of 6th. Giving us something to be genuinely excited about.

Instead we get repackaged paint. Yawn.

13 comments:

  1. i am not usually a fan of bitter and twisted rants about the state of 40k.

    however, when it comes to paint, i agree with you wholeheartedly!!! Boring boring boring boring BORING!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah. it's probably that the new paint range has 145 shades of 'meh' in it. Good thing I use Vallejo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But hey, I could be wrong. Here's some other ideas for what '145' could mean.

      1. The Percentage Amount Of GW's Upcoming Annual Price Increase.
      2. The Average Ratio Of Bad 'Finecast' Castings Made To Every Good One.
      3. The Price Of The Upcoming 6th Edition 40K Rulebook.
      4. The Average Amount You'll Spend On New Models Upgrading To 6th (No... That's Too Low).
      5. The Current Number Of Active Tyrannid Players Worldwide.
      6. The Number Of New Marine Variants Coming Out Over The Next 5 Years.
      7. What Your 40K Army Will Be Worth On eBay After 6th Hits.
      8. Tom Kirby's Q1 Bonus For This Year (£145K).


      BEST EVER!!!!! LMAO

      Delete
    2. I'm slowly switching over to Vallejo as my GW pots run out. It's nicer, you get more, they don't dry out, and the squeeze bottles are very friendly for mixing custom shades as I am wont to do.

      Delete
    3. Ok, I admit, I don't know what the hell the 145 means but isnt 315 something about smoking weed?? i got the spammed video and expected SOMETHING but... what a friggin waste of 20 seconds. NOTHING. I think your 8 theories here are all valid and likely possibilities.

      Delete
    4. I believe the number you are looking for is 420. Chemistry isn't just for nerds anymore.

      Delete
  3. Lol, great rant, wtf is this paint range pointless change up all in aid of anyway ? Are they trying to drive me into the arms of Vajello ? Cause its working.

    Whats the betting its less paint/increased cost and probably loosing colours I rely on...

    Argh they make me mad sometimes!

    Hot on the heals of finecrap too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, GW doesn't seem to get that paint =/= models. Models excite us. Paint? It's a commodity. Just like Superglue or Green Stuff, you can find better/cheaper brands elsewhere. So if you mix it up and change stuff you just drive customers away.

      I don't think I've bought anything other than Devlan Mud from GW in over a year.

      Delete
  4. The latest recipient of the SinSynn knucklehead award...
    SandWyrm!

    I'll be chuckling about this all day...thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I felt like the video was an intern going "OMG, I just found this cool new program (powerpoint). Let me show you all the cool things it can do. I've switched almost fully over to vajello, with the exception of some of the washes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The 145 video, as it will be known on fora henceforth, is just a great indicator of whats wrong at GW...misjudged, poor tone, no respect for your customer, and a complete blind spot for the ENTIRE INTERNET!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the chuckle. Good thing I'm anti-GW right now.

    ReplyDelete

out dang bot!

Recent Favorites

All-Time Favorites