Monday, August 20, 2012

Well, At Least I Got Best Painted!

by Sandwyrm


Farmpunk and I played in the Mid-War Flames tournament on Saturday at Gencon. Where I got the schooling I had expected to get at our last tournament. Lost all 3 games. Though the first and second losses were against the guys who came in first and second for best General. So at least I got beat by the best. :)

My dignity was salvaged by winning the Best Army award.  For which I got to take home 2 Panzer Blisters. Which, oddly enough, got me exactly the tanks I've been wanting to buy. :)


Here's the American Rifle army of Chris, the guy who beat me in round one and went on to get Best General.


The table we played on was um... sub-optimal for tanks. But it sure did look pretty. I'll write up a Batrep later this week.


Here's the Panzergrenadier army of the third guy who beat me.

Here's some other pics from the Early War tourney on Friday:


One of the players was running Poles with an Armored Train


The train looked great, but the tables weren't very accommodating to the required laying down of the track. One 88 scored 3 hits on this train and blew up all 3 sections in one salvo BTW.





11 comments:

  1. I'll add in pics of the Late war stuff from Thursday. I don't think I took pics of the mid-war armies from Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, 'grats on Best Painted.
    Yer stuffs is really lovely, Sandy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, it's something at least.

      Party, I had a list problem, in that they went strict at this tourney and ruled that my AA Half-Tracks didn't have gun shields because the rule isn't listed in the North Africa book. They had allowed (and encouraged) it at the last tourney because the rule was in the updated Forces book for late war. But the TO's didn't want to have to rule on a dozen other potential Mid-War discrepancies with out-of-towners, so they went strict. I'll have to wait for the Mid-War update to eventually get released. Come on Battlefront!

      Without those gun shields, the Half-Tracks are pretty much useless against anything but aircraft. So in retrospect, I would have been better off dropping the Half Tracks and the extra crew on the 88's to take some Nebels and some transports for the 88's.

      That would have let me smoke enemy guns in 2 missions and let me move my 88's forward when deploying long-ways. Which would have helped quite a bit in game 2 when some uparmored KVs popped out of ambush just outside of the 88's range.

      Delete
  3. Very minor point, but I think your usage of your transport box as display tray is inspired. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, that was a last minute, night-before addition. I still had some textured paint left over from my desert hills project. I even broke up the color a bit by spraying layers of black, red, and yellow underneath until the final combined color matched the bases of the GF9 trees I had.

      I can't tell you how much nicer it is to carry one small case around in a backpack to a tourney instead of the 2 suitcases, backpack, large display board, and portable table that I had to lug around Adepticon and NOVA last year. I could literally carry my entire army in one hand. :)

      Delete
  4. your army looks pretty small/elite compared to the American rifle army. Good to see you are still kicking out that above and beyond paint job! kudos on the award.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, that's typical for Germans. You should see it when I go up against Soviet infantry. Until I start killing them, they look unbeatable.

      A real elite German armor list would be 4 Tiger Tanks and some AA trucks. :)

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. It's an old Chessex case from the 80's that I repainted.

      Delete
    2. any idea on the size... i was looking at getting one for my army but didn't get one that was too small...

      Delete
    3. The one in the pic is 17.5" x 7.75". I don't even know if they still make them. Like I said, it was bought about 25 years ago. :)

      Delete

out dang bot!

Recent Favorites

All-Time Favorites