Friday, February 14, 2014

Spaguatyrine Leaves the Back40K

By Spaguatyrine AKA Aaron Aleong

Readers of the back40K.  I have appreciated the years of communicating with you all my love of the game of Warhammer 40K.  I like to finish what I start.....
But recent circumstances have made it clear I needed to find a new home to share my knowledge to any who might want to listen.  With that being said I appreciate the time I have had on The Back 40K and the opportunities it has provided me in the 40K community.  Thank you to Farmpunk for the opportunity to write down my thoughts from time to time.  It has made me appreciate what I have and look forward to my bright future writing with some great people.
I started a tactical series last week and do intend to continue the series as I move forward.  So where am I headed?
In 2011 after winning Renaissance Man at the 2011 Nova Invitational and going 4-0 at the first day of the Grand Tournament I walked up to a table with a giant of a man.  He was seriously a head taller than me and had this giant smile on his face.  I looked at his army after I shaked his hand to start filing away what he had to measure up my opponent.  I saw dark eldar and said to myself. No problem!  My longfangs will flatten him.  Then I noticed some nicely painted dark eldar guys flying on skateboards and was intrigued.  I checked the army list and scanned them thinking those are the same points as space marines with only a 5+ save?  No problem.  What proceeded to happen was I missed the one model in his list that changed the way I think about 40k.  The Baron.  I saw him move some pain tokens around and then thought I had the game in the bag. That was until I got the charge off on his hellions, beat him in combat but he hit and run and wiped them out.  The rest of the game I know I must have been in a horrible mood trying to calm my anger at myself for not knowing what these hellions could do.  The rest of the game I was in desperation mode playing from behind.  (I play very well from behind and can often pull out a victory even when I shouldn't)  This guy was the nicest player I had ever played against.  On turn 5 the game started getting close to ending and I had a chance. A small one but a chance.  We had a little less than 15 minutes and I wanted to go another turn to get my chance. I could tell he didn't want to.  He had the right to say no as that is how the cookie crumbled in 2011.  I asked what about a roll of 4+?  He agreed and we continued on.  We ended up with a combat in the middle of the board with his Baron, and two hellions who were fearless against my 7 man grey hunter squad and Wolf Guard Battle Leader.  As it turns out the game ended with 3 judges holding three different measuring tapes to declare him the winner by 1/16th of an inch.  We were both exhausted.  Right after the judges were leaving the table we looked at his codex and realized that we were improperly rolling for the baron's 2++ shadowfield.  I asked him if we could do it the right way. You could tell he didn't want to so I said what about on a 4+? He agreed and we rolled it the correct way.  His baron died, I killed the hellions and won the game.  He then looked down and remembered his jetbike moves on his dark eldar bikes and jumped to contest the objective giving him the win.  I looked at him, the middle of the board, and decided that he had bested me.  Since that day we have shared a bond of respect that will continue to last.   I bested him last year at Nova 2013 for payback. But now we will be a team on the blogoshpere.
Also don't forget about The Indy Open which we are running in September.  We want to see all of you there.  Frosty Con  is this weekend and we are full. 
His name is Adam Tricola, one of the top players in the US and I will be joining him on:
I will also be joining the writers at:
Thank you Kirby and Taak for the opportunity to be a part of your team. 
I look forward to hearing from you all in the future.
I'm Out!!!

7 comments:

  1. I know Adam personally and enjoy both he and your views on 40k. I look forward to reading your thoughts on Delusions of Grandeur.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your thoughts dude..catch you at Delusions and 3++

    ReplyDelete
  3. And with that, I have no reason to follow this blog anymore. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ouch. Is there anything I can do to help that? Any topics that you'd like to see?

      Delete
    2. To be fair, I went back through some articles and realized there is a second 40k writer - you. I guess I didn't look at the author's names closely.

      Delete
  4. I'm looking forward to reading your stuff on 3++ and Delusions of Grandeur.

    ReplyDelete

out dang bot!

Recent Favorites

All-Time Favorites