Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Indy Open 2014-New logo from Goatboy

By Spaguatyrine





So who is Goatboy?  Famous artist, hobbyist, and 40k player from my home state of Texas....



Thomas Reidy, aka, Goatboy is someone I met at adepticon a few years ago. I was new on the grand touranment scene and even though I was in the same playing circle I had never really met him. Then one day at adepticon I walked up on him doodling on sitting at a table between rounds.  I introduced myself to him telling him that I have seen his work and heard alot of good things about him.  He was pleasant of course and talked for a few minutes.  As I became more involved with the grand tournament elites I have seen him at the big tourneys like adepticon, feast of blades, nova, etc.  Thomas also writes for BOLS, which to be honest I haven't follwed much lately but I have been stopping by his blog Goatboy's 40k Extra Thoughts.  Check it out. 

I believe we share the love of competitive play and trying lists that others may not want to try.  I hope to get in a game with him sometime in the future. 

How do you like the logo?

We will be finalyzing the Indy Open by the end of February and look forward to starting registration.  We are looking towards September. 

In the mean time Frostycon is only a week and a half away. We only have 3 spots left things are going well!!!  Sign up today.


I will begin writing tactical articles again soon.  Is there anything you guys want to discuss?



12 comments:

  1. Orks and Tau!!!!! How to get them to work together. Make me a list Spag!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Orks and Tau huh.... Ok will have to think on that one but I'll work on it.

      Delete
  2. More of a banner illustration than a logo. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen his artwork popping up more and more. It definitely has a unique style to it.

    As for articles, I'd like to see some detailed battle Reports. Describe how and why you make moves and react to the dice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will work on a tactical while I am at the airport tomorrow.

      Delete
  4. After thinking about it some more, I feel obliged to warn you that the marine in that illustration is way too GW-specific. Using it as the logo for an event that collects entry fees is just begging GW to send you a cease-and-desist that would shut down the whole Indy Open at the last minute.

    I suggest that instead you either re-use the logo from last year (with a new date), or have Goatboy do an updated riff on it. I'd be happy to send you the original photoshop file if you need it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am fine with the current logo thanks.

      Delete
    2. Well, it's no skin off of my back what logo you use.

      But there's plenty of examples of GW C&D-ing logos much less infringing than this one. From the original Librarium Online logo that incorporated a 40K aquila, to whatever the Fly Lords of Terra were using before they had to switch to the martini glass with wings.

      The trigger in both cases was money being collected. LO was collecting subscriptions, and the FLOT were selling t-shirts. Collecting fees for an event would fall under the same legal tent.

      Not trying to be a dick here at all, just making sure you're properly warned.

      Delete
    3. It was a martini glass with wings before, but we had to change the shape of the wings to be less like the aquila...

      Delete
  5. I like it, even if it supports the the inbred half of the imperium as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I looks very good. I'm excited about the Indiana Tournament Circuit this year and actually having a lot of fun just playing games all over the place.

      Delete
  6. Awesome logo ! Perfect !

    : )

    Good luck and best wishes for your event.

    ReplyDelete

out dang bot!

Recent Favorites

All-Time Favorites