Here's an interesting interview from Beasts of War with Mantic's head honcho and Allessio (formerly of GW). The best parts are in the middle of the video where Kings of War and their 3-year plans for the game are discussed. While towards the end they tease us with Warpath, their sci-fi game which is coming in October of this year.
Some take away points:
- Their games are being designed from the outset with competitive play in mind.
- They have specific strategies for attracting new players to the hobby.
- All rules are free to download. They'll release a printed book next year for KoW.
- The simple rules are designed for speed of play.
- Tourneys will use Chess clocks. No more slow playing!!!
- All rules are being beta tested for balance.
- They're following a very definate Design -> Test -> Refine methodology.
- Feedback and fan-rules are encouraged. They said they will incorporate good ideas from fans.
- The next edition of KoW will have minimal rules changes, but more fluff.
- The next stage in KoW will be to fill out the armies with more detail.
- 8 Armies are planned for both KoW and Warpath.
- The Warpath beta will launch with 3 armies. Including 'Space Dwarves' and 'Space Orcs'.
- Warpath is designed (like KoW) for large battles.
- Their games are also designed to scale well and be playable with just 2-3 units.
- Each army's list will be about 4 pages in the main rulebook.
- They are committed to having every single army be competitive!