I got wind of something interesting. Apparently, GW has entered into an agreement with Slitherine, LTD.
to produce a turn-based Strategy game based on Warhammer 40K...
Here I had been thinking GW didn't want much to do with using it's IP in different arenas. They didn't seem to be doing much with it after the Dawn of War series, and the Space Marine games. Of course, THQ's bankruptcy probably had more to do with that than GW's wanting a tight reign on it's IP...
so who's Slitherine?
well, they make games like:
History: Ice Road Truckers
The History Channel: Great Battles of Rome
Field of Glory - Digital Version
they also apparently produce their own historical miniatures game:
Field of Glory
which is a historical wargame, covering Ancient times to Napoleonic era
Hmm. so here's the press release (and forum) on this, from Slitherine:
Armageddon™ invasion starts in 2014Warhammer® 40,000® turn-based strategy videogame details are disclosedSlitherine and Games Workshop® are pleased to announce Warhammer® 40,000®: Armageddon™. Having announced an exciting partnership with Games Workshop a few weeks ago, Slitherine are delighted to release further details. Slitherine have acquired the exclusive rights to Games Workshop’s “Battle for Armageddon” setting in order to create a series of amazing multiplatform, turn-based, hex-based games. Warhammer 40,000: Armageddon will make full use of Slitherine's expertise in creating compelling and challenging strategy gaming experiences. The initial game is set during the Second War of Armageddon and players will lead the Imperial forces of the Armageddon Steel Legion and Space Marines® from the Ultramarines, Blood Angels and Salamanders Chapters against Ghazghkull Thraka’s massive Ork Waaagh! invasion through over 30 scenarios, on the hostile terrain of the planet and its gigantic Hive Cities."It is very exciting to see a game like this come alive - I just can't wait to play it!", said Iain McNeil, Development Director of the Slitherine Group. "It's been almost 15 years since a turn-based strategy game set in the Warhammer 40,000 universe has been released and we think it is now time to deliver that experience to all fans around the world".“The Battle for Armageddon is a classic event in the lore of the Warhammer 40,000 universe, having been detailed in games, models and novels over the past 20 years.” said Jon Gillard, Head of Licensing at Games Workshop. “Slitherine's masterful use of their classic digital wargame style applied to this seminal setting will delight fans of both.”The game is currently in development for PC and iOS and will release in the first quarter of 2014.Main features of the game include:
- The game portrays the Second War for Armageddon™ in great detail, from the initial Ork landings to the final liberation of the planet;
- It contains a large branching campaign with 30 major scenarios, plus additional 5 tutorial scenarios that explore the story in detail;
- A complex plot, which can develop during a mission, right in the middle of battle, creating an engaging story line with unexpected twists;
- Players lead Imperial troops of the Armageddon™ Steel Legion, with supporting assets from a number of Space Marine chapters against the ferocious Orks;
- Fight alongside Commissar Yarrik and Commander Dante against the cunning Ork Warboss Ghazghkull Thraka;
- Carry over battle-hardened veterans from scenario to scenario, using their experience and upgrading their equipment;
- Detailed combat model with terrain, weather and morale effects;
- Extensive modding options delivered through a powerful and easy-to-use game editor.Some numbers:
- Over 35 scenarios;
- Over 100 unit types, with unique roles, stats and special abilities;
- 20 different units stats;
- A separate set of maps are designed and balanced specifically for multiplayer via Slitherine's PBEM++ system.
and thanks for bringing this to my attention, Tompson.