Saturday, March 3, 2012

The Indy Open: Day One

by SandWyrm


Whew! What a day! The Indy open kicked off this morning, and we got to see what a big 64-Player GT looks like in Indianapolis. Here's some shots of the venue, tables, prizes, and the buffet.


I hadn't been to this VFW hall before, so I was surprised to see how spacious it was. We're in just one of the large rooms they have.


There was a bar along one wall, although nobody was serving drinks. There's a full bar (and grill) elsewhere in the building that's open to us, but we were forbidden from bringing anything alcoholic back into the playing room.


We're a bit short on empty tables to stage armies on, but we do have about 6" of space for each player to place stuff along their side of the table. Which is invaluable!


It's a good crowd. There have been VERY few personality problems. Everyone is a great sport.


From the left we see Farmpunk, Dodger3 (head judge), CaulynDarr (record keeper), and Spag at the mike running things. I was helping judge the painting and referee matches. CaulynDarr, Farmpunk, and I also took turns playing the ringer for the day.


There's a very nice collection of swag for the winners. A lot of it's being given away in random drawings.


The winners' plaques came out very well.


The Tables










Farmpunk scattered some dry ice on some of the tables for some subtle smoke effects. :)










There are a few tables that could use a little more terrain. But on the whole the terrain is fantastic. Every table has LOS-Blocking terrain of some sort in the center. There's also a LOT of very characterful terrain pieces being used that I know come from the private collections of local players.


But Best Of All...


We had a great on-site lunch that was catered by someone Spag knew. 


Beef Brisket and the fixin's for just $6.00? Suck it Adepticon! :)

So yummy...

7 comments:

  1. Congrats on a successful day one! Wish I could have been able to attend so badly; however, work and life have made a game of which takes more time and money from me...

    Hopefully day 2 runs just as smoothly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Day 2 will be better. We will also get a break down of how many armies were represented and get that out.

    And lunch will be here again today!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stupid Croup keeping me from the food and booze, mostly the booze. The space looks amazing, much better than I had honestly been expecting for your first time out. The tables also look very nice, there are some very characterful table there that I really would have like to play on.

    Well done gentlemen, very well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stupid Croup keeping me from the food and booze, mostly the booze. The space looks amazing, much better than I had honestly been expecting for your first time out. The tables also look very nice, there are some very characterful table there that I really would have like to play on.

    Well done gentlemen, very well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I have been nabbed. The first picture features a very tired me sporting a receding hair line no thanks to that constant cut I have to maintain while unpacking the IG full of hopes and dreams and. lol they almost made it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Tomb King... I thought you did very well. I would have been very interested in the top 4 having a round robin to see how each of you would have done vs. the other 3.

    you should be proud. You only lost to the Top general.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks man appreciate it. I faced my one nightmare match-up for the finals. Had he faced the other necron player instead of grey knights in round 5 it might of been a completely different outcome at the tournament. However, games come down to match-ups and he had a list strong against and he faced 5 out of 6 mech/gunline armies 3 IG, 1 DE, 1 Corteaz GK, 1 Necron with 13 armor spam.

      Delete

out dang bot!

Recent Favorites

All-Time Favorites