Thursday, November 4, 2010

What We Had Here, Was A Failure To Communicate

by SandWyrm


So yesterday, Cool Hand Foodie and I threw down. I brought my Mech IG, and he brought a Dark Eldar army based on the new codex.

By the time I made it down to the GP-North, Foodie and Farmpunk had set up the table already. So we got right to it. We did a 5 objective mission with Kill Points as the secondary. Farmpunk rolled up a Dawn of War deployment for us. I played my 1750 tourney list and Foodie... well, we'll get to that. :)


I set up my 2 combined platoons in elevated cover with good fire lines and rolled everything else on. Foodie decided (logically) to just roll everything on.

With nothing to do on the first turn, I popped smoke on my tanks and moved the Vendettas flat-out, expecting one hell of an alpha-strike to come my way.


Foodie comes on and... whiffs every single lance roll. Only 2-3 hit, none glance or penetrate. Ouch! I didn't even need my smoke.


When my turn comes, I kill his fighter-thing (dunno it's name), damage a Ravager, and immobilize a Raider. Foodie couldn't hit, but he sure could make his cover saves.


Rawr! Wyches!


Bye-bye Vets, bye-bye platoon.


My left flank isn't looking so good. The Mandrakes get SEVEN glances on my left Vendetta, immobilizing it and knocking off every lascannon!


The scourges on my right come out to play from behind the Bastion. This was Foodie's biggest mistake of the game.


Awe, the Wyches are running away. :)

Foodie's Dark Lance rolling is still awful, but his blasters and heat lances are rolling quite well.  He's losing a lot of Raiders though, which is hampering his mobility.


Last Ravager down.

It's now turn 5 and the store's closing soon, so this is it. The game is going to be very close. Foodie has 2 objectives to my 1, and that one's threatened by his HQ character, the Jetbikes, and his Scourges.

I can win... maybe. IF I contest his 2 objectives and claim one for myself. He's going to contest the one I have already, but I've got a PCS Chimera on my far right that's hoofing across the table to grab the one the Scourges left open.  The key will be contesting both of his objectives with my Vendetta and an empty PCS Chimera.

We're half way through my turn when one of the other players in the room walks up to watch. I'm just about to complement Foodie and the new Dark Eldar Codex on a challenging game when the observer says: "Wow! That's a big game! How many points is that?"

Foodie looks up and says: "Two-Thousand." at the same time that I say: "Seventeen-Fifty.".

Ooops! :)

We had never said what point level we were going to play at, or compared lists. I just brought my list for Saturday's tourney and had assumed that Foodie was testing his too. Foodie figured we were playing 2K because that's what I usually play at the store.

The room erupted in laughter. Foodie got all kinds of crap for "cheating" and having it be such a close game anyway. Made worse by the fact that he had been ribbing UberDark (the Ork player with the finely painted army) over Gazzy getting a Bright Lance to the face in his game against Gibbs' Eldar.

Pictures were taken and posted to Facebook in retaliation. :o


Foodie is massively embarrassed and doesn't want to continue, but I want to play out the last turn. I move the PCS squad up, grab the objective, and kill the immobilized Raider that's sitting nearby with their meltas. I then move up the empty Chimera and the Vendetta to contest his objectives.

And wait.

Foodie shoots at both the Vendetta and the Chimera with single Lances, but whiffs. He charges two squads into the Chimera and needs 6's to hit. He gets one penetration and rolls a 2.

Game over. I win 1-0. Foodie facepalms. More laughter and ribbing ensues.

Foodie was a great sport about it, and I don't want anyone to think he was cheating. But this was just too good a story not to share. :)

11 comments:

  1. Ah, my groups had communications issues on what we were doing as well. I don't think we've ever not matched on points, but we once we each following a different mission (both of which were rolled up for us by yet other people in the group)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If that's the way he wants it - well, he gets it. I don't like it any more than you do...


    Le whoops. Still, you won, and it was a good-looking game if these photos are anything to go by. Sometimes that's worth the effort on its own, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's going to be a game you always remember -- the one you won with a 250 point handicap. Sometimes the mistakes work out for the best. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah... one of my bigger facepalm moments. But hey, who said Dark Eldar ever fight fair, right?

    And, in my defense... I wasn't the only one accidentally cheating... :P

    I checked it out, and turns out that you do in face measure distance from the *hull*, not the base, even for skimmers. As such, that Vendetta was too high to contest anything on the ground (one of the biggest downsides of the model). So as it was, the game was a tie.

    Honor (yeah, even we dark scum have it) demands that I add that, without that threat on the objective, the warriors in the building would have easily moved to spread between the two objectives (center and my right hand side), giving me 2-1, and the Reavers *may* have been able to make their 36" turbo count and contested the one you held. Maybe.

    Of course, I was still 250 over, so it would have been null and void... but I'd rather have a cheaty win than a cheaty loss, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bother, I was trying to clean up instead of serial posting...

    I was going to correct a typo (though I'm sure you call can see what it should be), and add on - the time you can use the base of a skimmer is in assault - you can go either to the base *or* to the hull, whatever is easiest for the models. So no saying my Mandrakes wouldn't have gotten to get RIDICULOUSLY LUCKY and eat that jet plane.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Foodie, you need to go read the IG FAQ.

    Q. How do you treat the Valkyrie base for gaming? Due to its height it seems that it is impossible for a Valkyrie to contest an objective, or for troops to disembark/embark normally.

    A. Follow the rules in Measuring Distances in the Skimmers section in the Warhammer 40,000 rulebook with the following exception: For the purposes of contesting objectives and embarking/disembarking from a Valkyrie or Vendetta, measure to and from the model’s base. For example, models wishing to embark within a Valkyrie can do so if at the end of their movement, all models within the unit are within 2" of the Valkyrie’s base.

    :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. As far as the "biggest downsides of the model:"

    Q. How do you treat the Valkyrie base for gaming? Due to its height it seems that it is impossible for a Valkyrie to contest an bjective, or for troops to disembark/embark normally.

    A. Follow the rules in Measuring Distances in the Skimmers section in the Warhammer 40,000 rulebook with the following exception: For the purposes of contesting objectives and embarking/disembarking from a Valkyrie or Vendetta, measure to and from the model’s base. For example, models wishing to embark within a Valkyrie can do so if at the end of their movement, all models within the unit are within 2" of the Valkyrie’s base.

    http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m470041a_FAQ_ImperialGuard_2009.pdf

    Just so we're clear, that model has no downsides.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ...some men you just can't reach...

    GNR FTW!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. said pic.

    http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/photo.php?fbid=10150098885790505&set=a.432322740504.213428.538805504

    ReplyDelete

out dang bot!

Recent Favorites

All-Time Favorites