I may be a little behind the curve, but I finally got my first game of 6th edition in yesterday. Funny thing is I know the rules better than some, being a bookworm at times and such. But my first game was interesting, learned a few things, gained a bit of perspective. I decided to try out my standard 2k BA mech list just to see how things have changed for it.
So we set up terrain and roll for missions based off of the nova; table quarters, objectives, vp. pitched battle, big guns never tire. Nemesis goes first, and rolls hot in shooting, blowing up most of what he shoots at. His beast pack had moved into the center terrain, and is set up to multi assault and wreck a good amount of vehicles, but rolls horrible on his assault roll (even with 3d6 and rerolls). I move things around, and open fire, killing a raider and a venom and some infantry, but nothing amazing.
Second turn Nemesis' shooting balances out from first turn as he misses almost 3/4 of his shots and only half of those get glancing results. Next turn I glance two venoms, kill two true born and fire both vindicators into the giant beast pack. I scored like 10 wounds, but between LOS and 4++ beasts, I kill like 3 models only. And my storm raven with dread did not come in like I needed.
By turn 3 I decide to call it, as he has destroyed almost all of my tanks, and I've already lost steam against him, plus learning the game has taken longer than I expected. But I learned a few things.
- Fast Las/plas is nice, but Plasma overheating on 1HP razorback (killing itself) is not fun.
- Dread in storm raven sucks, as it keeps him out of the game for 3 turns or so.
- Runes of warding are not auto stops, mephiston pulled off his powers just fine for 3 turns. LD 10 on 3d6 is 50%ish.
- Overwatching blasters annoy mephiston, and 2+ armor saves can be torrented down(specially when I fail 1/3 of them instead of 1/6)
- Beasts are stupid good, and get better in terrain. 3d6 pick highest move through cover, aren't slowed by terrain, rerolls with fleet.
- 5-man assault squads are crap, now that they are a turn later on assaulting out of razorbacks.
- Warlord powers are awesome if you get ones you like (mephiston counts as scoring, haha)
So that provided some interesting thoughts. I don't think my mech list got that much weaker or worse, mostly just the match up and DE alpha striking me. Next I'll have to try jumpers or Nids and see how a more foot list has changed.
Once I get a few more games in with my older lists, and see how things have truly changed, I can start changing things in the list and making a better/stronger 6th army.
Has anybody else tried full mech lists still? I'm just wondering on the results.