Sunday, August 7, 2011

The Bugs Are 'Ard

By TheGraveMind

Is it bad that Lolspiders gives me joy?
No I will not be taking Tyranids to Ard Boyz, I'm taking my Blood angels. But seeing as I've been trying to play the tyranids more casually, I thought about what list I would take if I took them.

Flyrant, wings, sword, Old adversary (preferred enemy)
Hive guard x2
Hiveguard x2
Zoanthropes x3
Tervigon
10 gaunts
Tervigon
10 gaunts
10 Stealers toxin sacs
10 Stealers toxin sacs
5 Raveners
5 Shrikes with boneswords, toxin sacs
20 Gargoyles with adrenal glands and toxin sacs
Trygon
Trygon

Essentially it is trying to old tyranid bum rush tactic. I generally run either shrikes or trygon, but this is 'Ard boyz.
Of course I Don't have a second trygon, I don't have wings for my shrikes, and I don't have 20 gargoyles.

The other possibility would be to run a list with The Swarmlord, ymgarl stealers, Hormagaunts and more raveners. But that too isn't quickly feasible as I don't have a swarmlord model (yet).

I want to take a moment to address Hormagaunts. I have lost interest in them this edition as they lost the beast rule. That 12" assault range was huge and is what kept them alive as they were outside of "rapid fire" range. The fact that they lost Ws also sucked. But as I've been thinking about it, I might bring them back. With the surge of GK around, they are going to be very valuable. They still die to cleansing flame like everything else, but against halberts and such they are great.

For 10 points you deck them out with toxin sacs and adrenal glands. On the charge they are S4 I6 3 attacks rerolling 1s to hit and rerolling to wound against T4 or lower. That is 7 points cheaper then Toxin sac Stealers. Stealers hit 66% and reroll to wound with rending. Mean while the hormagaunts should hit 55% and also reroll to wound but with out rending. It becomes weight of attacks vs rending. I have yet to do the math for it to see where the point tips in the hormagaunts favor, but I'm thinking it will be worth taking a squad. Plus I love the models.

Are you guys trying to finish assembling that last unit or so for 'Ard boyz? or are you just taking what you have and going with that?

8 comments:

  1. I am just going with what I have. I am not sure what I will play yet, but will have to use what I have this year. No last minute buying for me. If the economy was better than maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I won't be doing 'Ard Boyz (g'damn 70 hour work weeks), but I do know that every time I play 'Nids, the one thing that I never seem to have an answer for is Hormagaunts. Those little blighted buggers eat though anything and everything I send at them. They're especially great against DE as their T3 means that all those lovely P4+ weapons do worse against them than your standard S4 AP5 boltgun. Tau do the best against them thanks to the S5 AP5 basics of theirs, but being Tau, once they get charged, it's handshake, gg, run for the hills.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hormagaunts can still be quite vicious. A large brood moving through cover, with Feel no Pain from a tervigon will generally laugh at bolter fire.

    One of the local players at my club runs broodlords with his genestealers. They are always worth it. I often wonder why I never see anyone on the interwebz running them?

    As far as 'Ard Boyz goes for me I am only running models I already own. I was going to buy a box of assault marines to help finish out my list, but the FLGS was sold out. I managed to scrape together enough stuff out of my bitz box to do the job, saving me a bit of cash. There were a few other things I have been sitting on for awhile that I had to assemble, though, such as a Death Company Dreadnought and another Razorback, in order to have everything ready. But I have not had to spend any money :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I won't be buying anything new for 'Ard Boyz either.

    I'm just not excited at all. In years past, I've dropped $300+ on army additions just for this tourney. This year I'm gonna just write up a quick list the night before.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've spent the last two days assembling plastic Bloodcrushers that have been sitting on my desk for eight months, but they're just replacing metals, not actually adding anything.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll have to remember where I got my wings... just threw away the box with my move to my new apartment, but they're about the perfect size, have the right look that I wanted (reptilian style wings), and were cheap (about 2.50 a pair) for metal.

    I've used a similar Shrike brood - just with Adrenal Glands. The 12" move allows them ease(ish) in getting the charge, and as is they already tear through 11+ MEQ's on the charge... so I personally find Toxin Sacs overkill vs infantry. I'll take the off-chance S5 vs vehicles... not to mention striking before marines is pretty big when you're rockin a 5+ save.

    And I love Hormagaunts. I run them base... they're cheap, good for cover, and not actually bad for the value even against marines. I personally think giving them both upgrades makes them too fragile for the cost, but would not begrudge you one. And if you really want both, go for it. They do get pretty nasty that way... though I'd say Toxin over Adrenals for them.

    There's some more I could say, but since you're not actually running the list and everyone is just going to say how hard nids suck regardless, I'll save the effort :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad to hear people still have opinions about hormagaunts. I'll have to get a post up about them/other nid units again once I get a good game in with them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I played a quick friendly game against a winged o/a tyrant + 2x24 poisoned furious hormagaunt squad list with my fexstar/biovore/2stealer/2terv/3x2hg list and got rocked. I completely underestimated bounding leap and with FNP, you've really only got one round of shooting, two at best before they get to you. 2x24 with preferred enemy that he can string out with his mobile tyrant. Ouch.

    ReplyDelete

out dang bot!

Recent Favorites

All-Time Favorites