So I’ve been a 40k player for almost 3 years, not a long time in 40k terms but long enough to say I’ve been around the block. However, recently GW has really been throwing us all curve balls so I began to think outside the box. I started looking for a new game back last September and found Warmachine/Hordes.
The college I went to has a somewhat nice gaming community of roughly 20 people so of course I wasn’t alone in my endeavors. However the game never caught on so I painted my miniatures and they sat in waiting.
Alas the day came roughly in May of this year when 5-7 people at school started to suggest Warmachine and buy into it. I jumped for joy at the thought of moving my money out of GWs product and into a bright new future.
I walked into the game store here in town one Thursday night with my Warmachine models and played a game and got smashed. BUT, I didn’t feel like it was a waste. The game took an hour and a half giving me enough time for a second game. Both games were very different. I learned new strategies from throws to slams, tramples, headlocks, and I found myself applying them the following week. Both games though forced me to use my units completely different which is something that rarely happens to me in 40k. If my guns are not shooting in 40k they’re not doing anything. Where in Warmachine my guns could be used as suicide troops to increase my stats or FOCUS.
So here is what I’ve gathered from the game so far, I’ve played 12ish games with 3 different casters.
- Cheaper, this one is on the top of my list for a reason. 50 points for a starting army, 15 points isn’t much but it’s a great start. Also few people will tell you no I don’t want to play a 15 point game. It’s 50 bucks, well worth trying a new game. A new game > a landraider.
- Models are beautiful, Sure a few of them are in the same poses. . .but aren’t tact marines the same way?
Also the models feel like they have more care and pride in them. Less flashing, holes and slots for most of the attaching pieces to fit into, lastly “resins” that wont melt in your car.
- Simple rules, the game can literally be taught in steps. PrivateerPress gives a “quick start rule set” in which you can play your games with then pick up the rulebook and say, “today we will learn throws.” IMHO this is a great marketing tool, between a free quick start rule book and a cheap battle box there’s not much to lose.
I gave 3 PROs so I’ll even things out and give 3 CONs just to be fair.
- Fewer Armies, many people play both Warmachine and hordes, however for 40k players we are sort of use to a mechanized feel. It’s discouraging to think, Hmmm I can play Russians, undead things, WWII USA, Catholics (no offense), or elves. . . Sadly this is how I felt about the factions to until I started looking into casters, which slowly changed my mind.
- Really hard to photograph, we all love battle reports right? Warmachine is a bit more difficult to run a battle report on. The models are smaller and finely detailed so quick draw photography battle reports are hard to do.
- Tournament scene, here’s the one I hate the most. Tournaments for Warmachine are nowhere to be had. They’re rare to say the least and not advertised like 40k tournaments are in my area.
On a closing note I wanted to run a few numbers for everyone to see the cost on average of a warmachine army.
15 points- starter box- 50 bucks+ dice + tape measure
25 points- Starter box+ 10 points= ~$60 (total 110)
35points- starter box+ 20 points= ~$140 (total 190)
50 points (2000 40k points)- starter box +35 points= ~$220 (total 270)
If you think $300 dollars is too much for a 50 point warmachine army ask Sandy how much he spent on his 2k guard army. Happy gaming everyone.
I think that $300 even beats my BA Sanguinary Guard army. -SandWyrm
by uberdark So as some of you may know, I have given up 40k, I am not going into specifics why, because it would be a long as hell trollin...
by: farmpunk Ladies and Gentlemen! The NOVA Open 2011 is now open for registration by Pre-registrants! That's right Kids! Uncle M...
by SandWyrm What to do, what to do... It seems that I'm stuck with an army that I literally can't figure out the rules for in 6...
by SandWyrm Just got the news via email that Rankings HQ is calling it quits due to funding issues.
by SandWyrm Kirby has his own open letter up today on 3++, but I thought that instead of re-posting it, that I'd write something mor...
by SandWyrm Spag I think, speaks for a lot of regular folks when he says that Big Businesses are all the same. It's a fatalistic vi...
by SandWyrm Not too long ago, SinSynn posted an article over on House of Paincakes where he told the story of his struggle with drug ad...
by SandWyrm Love your blog and I love your articles about painting and color theory. It's a unique thing your blog has to offer so giv...
by Sandwyrm Battlefront's John Paul has promised to 'think about' listened to their fans and compromised on their BF-on...
By Spaguatyrine So here is my shameless plug of me and Stelek at Nova. Man look at that sexy beast!!!! On the right of course!!! Want...
By Spaguatyrine So for years now I have read and heard about how broken Space Marines are and how GW..
By TheGraveMind So I decided I'm going to take a week or two off of gaming, and work on my army looks. For starters I have two drop p...
by SandWyrm So there I was at Hobbytown USA, fruitlessly looking for more Tamaya desert-colored spraypaint, when I accidentally fou...
By TheGraveMind Well, here is my review of the Space Marine game. It is a little late, but we'll just say I've been busy with sc...