Saturday, March 12, 2011

The Perfect Grey Knight Proxy Army?

by SandWyrm

 
As I've been thinking about what it would take to do an Adeptus Mechanicus proxy for the new Grey Knight codex, I've been a bit daunted by the potential work involved. That plus the meh-ness of the Codex itself (saw it tonight and I'm still worried) has had me stumped. I only like the book well enough to do a henchmen-centric force using my existing Tallarns. But I really want some Admech Elements too. But an Admech-Tallarn mix would be... a bit strange.

It was while I was browsing Forge World for AdMech insignias that I stumbled across the answer.

What about the Iron Hands?

They're loyalist (which is my preference) and they're augmentation-freaks that are similar in many ways to the Mechanicus. What's more, they fought with the Tallarns during the Battle of Tallarn against the Iron Warriors during the Heresy. Close ties with the Mechanicus mean that they'll be plenty of Servitors and Tech Priests running around too.

GW even still sells the old Iron Hands box set.

I think I have a theme. :)

5 comments:

  1. Fluff wise and play style wise it suits you. Problem is what codex to use, no need to use Grey Knights then, sounds like vanilla marines then?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The whole point is to be able to mix AdMech, Marines, and Human Infantry while using my existing Tallarn models for part of the force. I don't know how to do that without using the new GK codex.

    Basically I'm thinking that it would be a Heresy-Era Iron Hands strike force of Terminators, Dreds, and a converted Dredknight backed up by Servitor-enhanced Tallarn Infantry Squads in Chimeras.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well in that case I think you are on the right track, I only wonder about heavy infantry killing power once you switch over.

    Fluff wise you are on the right track, tweaking the list to be competitive will be tricky, but im sure you will figure it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. SandWyrm, One of our old-school regulars is doing an IronHands army right now (same one that has the all-dreadnaught army) and it's beautiful. Of course, his conversions are works of art... additionally, he seems to be having fun with it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think your plan is ace. Not only that, but visually, the IH's will contrast and provide some excellent modeling opportunities.

    I say go for it.

    ReplyDelete

out dang bot!

Recent Favorites

All-Time Favorites